Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Smite thee, Under Armor!

Yesterday, it dawned on me: It’s about to be October, and I still have 3 months of training before race day. And then it dawned on me: I live in Colorado. Suddenly my adidas shorts and plain white t-shirt didn’t look like acceptable running gear anymore.

Don’t get me wrong. Even with all the talk of “cotton is rotten” on the trails, I’ve been pretty happy with my kit thus far. Sure I sweat. Sure my sweat drips from my face and onto the collar of said t-shirt. Sure it stays wet the entire rest of the time I’m running. It’s been HOT out there most of the time, and it hasn’t seemed to bother me.

But, as the days get shorter and the air gets cooler, and as I find myself shivering while running, I have to admit… it might be time for a little Under Armor. And my bank account shrieks: “No, no! Anything but that!” And the passers-by watching me shuffle along in all my Under Armor glory shriek: “No, no! Anything but that!”

::Coincidentally, and this is absolutely no joke… I have my iPod on shuffle right now, and the song “I Feel Pretty” from West Side Story just came on… how ironic, considering I don’t think the words “figure flattering” exist at the Under Armor company!---but, the word WARM certainly does::

OK… Topic shift coming up…

Last night’s run was pretty good. I ran 2.67 miles with SoxFan and his Ini. After we returned, I plugged in my Garmin, and for the first time ever, I was a little bummed at how slow I am. I don’t feel like I’m running very very slowly. I feel comfortable! I have a short stride, admittedly, but I have a pretty quick turnover. But my splits are just terrible.

Then, I started thinking about it, and I am slow all the time! I mean, just walking around downtown with friends, everyone is always walking faster than me. I’m not walking in slow motion… I’m not meandering or strolling or dragging my feet… I’m just walking! And I’m slow! I don’t know the real reason behind this. I don’t know why I feel like there is a speed ceiling for me that I can’t seem to break through. I’m blaming it on my ridiculously short legs.

SoxFan says that he thinks I can run faster, because at the end of 2.67 miles last night, I felt great… hardly winded, and I could have kept going… he says that’s a sign that I’m not pushing hard enough. (I hate it when he’s right.) So, I’m going to try to push a bit more… running hasn’t been hurting lately, and apparently, it’s supposed to.

During tonight’s 45 minute run, my goal is to make it for a full 5K. Not very long ago, I had trouble running 5K. Now it’s a nice training distance. I’m planning on running the Komen Race for the Cure 5K in Denver coming up soon, and for the first time ever, I’m fairly certain I can run the whole 5K distance. Not only that, I’m have a time goal! Sigh… Wonders never cease…

4 comments:

Pokey said...

I think the only *slow ceiling* is the one we put on ourselves, you know? Take it from one slow gal to another! LOL! I think we just become accustomed to being slow, and it's a self fulfilling prophecy. HOWEVER, I really have no problem with it personally. I mean, I do want to improve - but the thought doesnt consume me. Maybe someday I will have time goals, but for now I just have *FINISH* goals, which I think are just as good!

Good luck on your 5k run!

Lost4now said...

What's wrong with being slow? I was told a long time ago that I am built for comfort not for speed. (Did I already say that somewhere) anyway, like pokey said, I am working on "FINISH" goals. I signed up for my first race, which is the Little Rock Race for the Cure. I have no doubt I will run the whole thing, I am more concerned witht the large crowds..eeekk.

aerorunnergirl said...

Oh, definitely! I am working on "FINISH" goals, as well. The shorter distance runs I feel comfortable finishing, but anything more than a 5K, I'm just hoping to finish... The only problem is: There is a time limit on the half marathon I'm trying to do... So, I basically know the slowest pace I could run... And I'm up against it. :(

Anonymous said...

hey there slowgirlrunning.blogspot.com admin found your website via search engine but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered site which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your site http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my website. Hope this helps :) They offer best services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com