Wednesday, August 26, 2009

One is the lonliest number....

I've been giving it some thought, and I've almost decided (I'm 73.249% sure) that I want to run not one, but two, half-marathons this fall/winter. They're 6 weeks apart so I feel confident that I would have plenty of time to recover between the two of them. And it would be awesome to have another goal hanging on my calendar after Denver. And the second one is especially meaningful because it's in Memphis, which means my family could come out to support me.

I just don't know. Last year in the hours following my half in Denver I felt like crap. But I felt pretty good the next day. I even went for a run a couple days after last year's race. Surely, with 6 weeks between the two, I could get a good rest and still have time to increase my mileage to the point that the race in Memphis would find me running strong all the way to the finish.

An extra bonus to consider: Memphis is at a whopping 200ft of elevation. Just sayin'.

I'm particularly driven by running events. When I have an event planned, I know I have to keep training and keep working hard because there will be lots of people on-hand to see me fail if I don't put in the miles. So, having something planned post-Denver is one way to ensure that I'll keep up with my running even as winter approaches. This is something I've struggled with in years past. I have to admit to being a seasonal runner. But I don't want to be anymore... I really want to be one of those really hard core people you see out running down snow-covered sidewalks/trails in 8 degree weather with mittens and yak-traks. Then I'd feel really tough!

Why am I struggling with this decision so much? Am I hesitant for a good reason, or am I just allowing my natural ability to doubt myself cloud what is otherwise a good plan?

1 comment:

Tara said...

Go for it! You should be able to recover in 6 weeks (disclosure...I'm no coach though)

That is exactly why I chose San Antonio for my 1st marathon. SEA LEVEL baby!