Thursday, September 24, 2009

What did I do to deserve this?

I just had two of the most amazing weeknight runs of my life. Seriously, I mentioned Tuesday night's 2miler briefly in the last post because I thought it must surely be a fluke. I ran the two fastest miles I've ever run, I believe. Both were under 12m/m.

I figured it was just because it was only 2 miles, but I was still pretty proud of myself because I kept a good pace even on the uphill mile.

Then, last night, I had a 4 miler scheduled. I ran a new route from my office and my average pace? 12:09.

The first mile? 11:04.

What is going on around here? And why, all of a sudden, am I doing so well after that horrible wreck of a run in TN?

I am noticing a slight pattern... Back at the HM relay that I did with Miah and Jeff in April, it was cold and I ran fast (well, fast for me). It's been cold this week in Denver and I've been running fast. Is it possible that I just run that much faster when the temperature drops? Anyone else experience this?

Either way, I really like running fast. It feels like I'm really going somewhere! It feels great to stretch my legs out and take these long strides and feel the wind rushing past my face. And when I realize I'm running fast, and I try to rein it back in to a more reasonable pace, I find it very difficult to do!

5 comments:

Kevin said...

I know Jeff had some great runs this week too - he thinks that it IS the weather.

aerorunnergirl said...

Awesome. I'll be doing a full on rain/cold dance for the entire week preceding the Denver Half Marathon, in that case.

Tara said...

Rock on girl! I always run better in cold weather as well.

Lisa said...

Hey there, just found your blog through Tara's. Looks like you are training for a HM... I'm looking forward to following your progress. A HM is next on my running to do list, right after a 10k this October. Good luck with your training.

Blooming Orchid said...

Good for you! This is very inspiring for me. I'm hoping the cold will add some pep in my step as well. Keep up the great work!