Sunday, October 18, 2009

Goals

It's 4:30AM. I'm up and ready to go. But in my mind, I've run this race twice today already.

During my first time through the race, I forgot to turn on my Garmin and was all out of sorts. I don't even remember having shoes on. The second time through, everything went perfectly... I was running like a Kenyan. It felt awesome. And then I woke up and realized "Oh no, you haven't even gotten started yet."

After a great deal of thought yesterday, I think it'd be a good idea to put down my real goals for today...

  1. Finish without feeling like I've been hit by a truck. This is ambitious, considering how I felt after last year's race.
  2. Finish in 2:45. This is my (A) time goal, the one that is a reach.
  3. Finish in 3:00. This is my (B) time goal, the one I have a good chance of hitting. It's a couple of minutes faster than last year's time, so if I manage to do this, I can at least say the race was a PR, even if I miss my real time goal.
  4. Get past mile 11 without wishing I was dead or wondering why I signed up in the first place. It's just a few more miles, after all. I've done 10 and it wasn't so bad. Another 3.1 won't kill me. I need to maintain perspective.
  5. Avoid feeling bad about myself and doing a lot of beating myself up, regardless of my time. This is a tough spot for me.
  6. Have fun and remember why I'm out there. It's not supposed to be easy (at least, not for me). I'm doing it because it's hard.
Let's hope the third time is the charm.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Good luck!!! You're gonna do awesome. I can't wait to hear your after-race report!

GrittyKitty said...

Sorry I don't know you, but I just started jogging and plan on a half marathon...soonish...in the next 2 months and WOW, you are truly an excellent writer! I love how you express your experience in writing, you do a pro job.