Sunday, September 9, 2007

Step one, complete

Before I began my run this evening, my first ever TNT officially scheduled run (on my own), I was very worried and nervous that I'd fail disastrously and wish I'd never signed up for anything that required any sort of running at all. I hadn't run in 2 whole weeks (eeek, I am so embarrassed), and my last 5K... well, you've heard that story already.... whatever. I was thinking that it was likely that I'd need to stop and walk a bit during my first 30 minute run.

But...

I didn't! I kept a decent pace (for me at least), and though I felt tired at one point and thought I couldn't continue, I kept on going and I made it the full 30 (which came in at slightly more than 2 miles). I'm nearly 1/6th of the way there!

A couple of notes I should make at this point:

1.) It really helps to have a friend running with you. I'm not referring to a "running buddy". I am referring to a true friend who seems to know when you can push a little farther and when you're spent. Mine shall be known as SoxFan, and you will probably be reading a lot about him, as he's one of my very best friends.

2.) Audiobooks are my key to running success. For the life of me, I cannot listen to music while running, because I want to run to the beat of the music, which is, inevitably, either too fast or too slow. Audiobooks, however, are the outdoor equivalent of running on a treadmill in front of a TV. You get so interested in what you're hearing/seeing, that you don't think about the running (how far have I gone, how far do I still have, whats my pace, is that dog rabid, etc.). My first selection is "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey. Fiction, non-fiction.... whatever. So far I'm entertained.

3.) I need to figure out a way to become "mentally tough"... or at least this is what SoxFan suggests. He's quite right, I think. At some point along this road, I am sure that my willpower and dedication will be tested. I won't want to continue, I will wish I'd never agreed to this running nonsense... but before all that, I think my dilemma is that I'll run into a day where I just don't really feel it. And, having run into those days before, I know that when I start my run with the idea "I don't really want to be running right now"... I have a really terrible run. SO.... mental toughness... Need to pick up some of that.

No running tomorrow, but I have some thoughts on the brew, so hopefully I'll get that all vetted out into something cohesive. Otherwise, I'm back on TUESDAY, when I will have just completed another fabulous 30 minute run.

No comments: