Monday, October 1, 2007

Excuse me, ma'am, your skeleton is showing.

In all my ravings about the joys of running, I have been neglecting to mention one small hiccup. Aside from my legs becoming visibly stronger and more muscular (thanks a lot, legs, as if you don’t look absolutely Herculean and manly already), I have not noticed a marked change in my appearance as a result of the running. Please don’t take this the wrong way, I am not a vain person (as anyone who has seen me leave my house for work/school/other outing with no shower/makeup/comb through my hair can attest), but I do desire at least a minimal aesthetic benefit from all this running. Alas, I was bemoaning this fact on Saturday afternoon with SoxFan, and I resolved to make a few small changes to my eating habits (namely, eliminate my eating habit).

But yesterday, oh blessed day, everything turned around.

Typically, I arrive home from a casual shopping trip in one of the following states:

  1. Crying,
  2. About to begin crying,
  3. Red-faced and puffy from crying all the way home, or
  4. Gleeful and ecstatic because I bought electronics and did not venture near the clothing stores.

However, yesterday I went clothes shopping and I returned with a HUGE smile on my face. I bought a very smart pair of trousers and a couple of sweaters and a t-shirt and … oh, you get the picture, I bought a lot of stuff (mostly on sale, even!). But perhaps my happiest moment was buying lady garments (you know, the ones you wear under your shirt?). I usually have terrible luck in this particular department, but yesterday, I was successful 3 times. Hahaha, clothing gods, I win this round!

All of that should have made for a near perfect day, no? Oh, I’m not finished yet.

When I was getting ready for bed, going through my normal routine… turn off the lights… drink a glass of water… yummy the cat… wash my face…WHAT? What is that? A strange shadow has appeared on both sides of my face… I’ve heard rumors of these, but… surely not… I never imagined that I actually had them…

Cheekbones, my friends. On my face.

3 comments:

Pokey said...

YAY for cheekbones, LOL!!!!!

(wonder if I have them too???) ;P

Lost4now said...

LOL, congrats on the cheekbones!! I hate shopping.

Emily T Photography said...

I've been meaning to ask you about this aspect of your running routine. With all that running I figured it was inevitable that you would be shedding some poundage (not that you really needed to), I was just curious to know how much. I'm so happy that you did NOT ONCE mention the amount of pounds you've lost, but rather you noticed it in other ways. THAT'S AWESOME!