Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Planets align for Rockies... and ME!

First of all, can I just say... GO ROCKIES! And perhaps equally important---MATT HOLLIDAY is the cutest bald man on the planet. SoxFan had the amazing foresight to buy tickets early to go see Game 3 of the NLDS (Phillies @ Rockies). Woohoo! Playoff games in Denver! I am excite.

Today's run was grrrreat! I skipped Sunday's scheduled run (shhh, don't tell anyone), so having not run since Saturday, I was expecting tonight's run to be more of a death shuffle than a pleasant 45 minute run. I got home late from work and it was already getting dark, and I had a weird blister-ish feeling on my right heel... generally it did not appear that planets had aligned in my favor. So, what did I do?

I PR'ed.

Mile 1--->13:27
Mile 2--->14:15 (darn side stitch)
Mile 3--->14:13
.11 miles to finish---> 1:36 (13:26 pace!)

That's right, friends. My fastest ever 5K at 43:31. And it felt really great. Just like I've said before, the first mile and a quarter sucks pretty bad, but after that, it gets a lot easier. And, I tried out my new sports 'lady garment', and it is just splendid. Minimal bouncing = happy slow girl running. This weekend's Komen Race for the Cure should be a great time challenge and a good time, to boot!

I was really worried about missing Sunday's 30 minute run, but I skipped it because I was still really tired from Saturday's run and all the successful shopping on Sunday afternoon (it's hard work finding loads of great deals on clothes!). So, since I wasn't feeling up to it, I took a chance and *gasp* shunned my running schedule and instead chose to listen to my body---which told me to sit on my couch for a while and drink sleepytime tea and then crash into bed early. My legs felt all the better for it, though I'm not sure if this is a good idea in the long term.

So I ask you, because you guys are knowledgeable in such things, when training for a 1/2 marathon in 3 months, is it better to listen to your body or tell your body to shut the heck up and just get in the miles?

Ahhh... the post-great-run euphoria is setting in, and so I'm off to bed. Happy running tomorrow, folks!

5 comments:

Pokey said...

Waaaaaaaay to go!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you and your PR tonight! What a great feeling :)

I am not an expert in the training field, but my own opinion is that you have to balance both those things - you need the miles, but you also have to listen to your body to avoid injury. Gee, that really helps, huh? I'm sure someone wiser than me can give you better advice....where is Pat? ;)

I think whatever you do, you will be perfectly ready for RNR in January.

Lost4now said...

WOOHOO!!

Your doing great! I can't really give you an answer either. Being that I am somewhat older..ack, ack..I have a hard time running 2 days in a row. I only do that on Wednesday and Thursday. I would have a hard time running on Sunday after my long run on Saturday. I still have a lot to learn, and there is a lot of confusing information out there.

Lost4now said...

WOOHOO!!

Your doing great! I can't really give you an answer either. Being that I am somewhat older..ack, ack..I have a hard time running 2 days in a row. I only do that on Wednesday and Thursday. I would have a hard time running on Sunday after my long run on Saturday. I still have a lot to learn, and there is a lot of confusing information out there.

Before I'm 35 said...

Rock on with the awesome 5k!!

And I agree with what Pokey said: you kind of have to do a combination of listening to your body and powering through and getting the miles in.

If I listened to my body all the time, I wouldn't have run since the 100 yard dash of the Presidential Physical Fitness Challenge in 5th grade. My body is always telling me to just lay on the couch.

Kevin said...

You are my hero! Great job!