Thursday, October 4, 2007

An open letter to the running gods...

Dear running gods---

I appreciate the consistency that you introduce into my running schedule-really, I do. No matter what else is going on, I know that I can pretty much depend on you to follow up one fantastic run with one that is equally dismal. But this time, oh running gods, you have outdone yourselves.

The finesse with which you patiently allowed me to run along at a quick pace, foolishly believing “hey, this looks like it could be another PR,” was legendary. You really had me going there! I felt strong, confident and comfortable. It was the classic “jerk-the-chair-away” trick nearly 3 miles in, therefore, as you struck my right knee (ah! My good knee, even!) with a pain the likes of which I have never experienced. As we used to say in the South, this pain would “make you wanna slap yo’ momma!

I imagine you all huddled around, some chuckling in quiet guilt and some outright having a nice hardy laugh, while watching me hobble the rest of the way home. Quite certainly the most humorous moment of all must have been witnessing me trying to climb the stairs back into my apartment, only to collapse on the couch before reaching the ice-pack in the freezer, a mere 20 feet away.

Ah, those were good times, last night. I am glad to have provided such vulnerable fodder for your tomfoolery. Hahaha, the joke is on me!

However, I fear that continued bullying in this manner may lead to a strained relationship between us. And, as I have professed on more than one occasion, I just want us to get along and be happy with one another. So, if you will now kindly remove the remnants of said pain from my knee, we can get back to our regularly scheduled running schedule.

Yours Truly,

Slow Girl Running

3 comments:

Pokey said...

Oh no! Sorry about your knee.

Now you just need to REST yourself so you can get back at it. Did it just feel like a pulled muscle?

Feel better soon!

Lost4now said...

Bless your heart!! I can say that, I'm from/in the South.

I had a "not great" run myself last night. Pokey is right, you need to REST, get it checked out soon if it doesn't get better.

aerorunnergirl said...

Thanks for the kind words! I took your advice to rest and I've been treating the knee gingerly since Wednesday, and I think I'm ready to give it another go.