Monday, October 22, 2007

Vacation running, new babies, good friends

A funny thing about running in new places is that you don't know what you're in for until you're already in it. In an extraordinarily ambitious move, I woke at 6AM to go for my long run on Vacation Saturday. I had planned my route meticulously on Friday night, even. I picked a route that was a bit short (only 9.25ish miles) for the time I was supposed to run (2:45), but it was HILLS... so I was hoping it would balance out.

The run started out well enough. It was a gorgeous morning with lots of sun and the temperature was perfect. I was enjoying the thick air (running really is a lot easier outside of Denver!) and the views, and even the way my legs were hurting a bit. And I surprised myself by climbing a few hills that I thought looked impossible! All in all, things were great. My amazingly awesome friends even drove out to meet me at the halfway point to bring me a fresh cold bottle of water. They're the BEST!

At some point, I made a wrong turn, however... and things began to get ... interesting. The shoulder got more and more narrow (the word non-existent comes to mind), the cars kept getting faster and faster.... the road kept getting twistier and turnier (ok, those definitely aren't words)...Finally, I met a local and decided to ask a few questions to regain my bearings, but the poor guy I was talking to seemed completely befuddled as to WHY I was out there at all. I tried to explain that I was running, just for exercise, that I wasn't lost, I just needed to make sure the road I was on would eventually connect with the one I was looking for.... no such luck, though. After completely creeping me out ("I don't even leave my driveway without a gun around here..." ?????), I took off again and followed the directions that the guy had given me to get to where I wanted to be. As I turned off the main road and down a less populated one, though.... I got scared thinking about how this creepy guy knew where I was headed, and now here I was on a deserted road all alone...ok, deserted is probably a bit of a stretch....

So, I was 2:20 in, and I called my amazingly awesome friends to just come and pick me up. Long story short, I only made it 8.5ish miles. BUT, it is still a HUGE success because I was on vacation, and everyone else slept in while I was running! I have more willpower than I realized.

I had a great time spending time with my friends, too. We had lots of laughs and good conversation... we played board games and watched stand-up and mostly played with the new baby. It was good times all around. I have some things I'd like to talk about here, but I haven't had a proper chance to really get it all down on paper yet. Soon, though.

And, just because she's adorable, here's a picture of the little angel herself.

Things on the horizon.... recommitment paperwork with TNT, fundraising, long runs that are actually short runs, and my latest thoughts on life as I know it. Oh, and a smooch.

6 comments:

Lost4now said...

That is awesome!! Did you ever think you would be saying "I only made it 8.5ish miles"? Glad to hear you are having a good time on your vacation!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is the cutest baby ever! Her parents must be the most fabolous looking couple on earth!

Ian said...

I usually try to run on vacation too, but I'm usually content to go 3 or 4 miles and call it good. I figure that most people don't run on vacation so if I do 4 miles I'm doing better than most. You're doing great to be able to get up early and run for that long.

Thanks for stopping by my blog too.

Pokey said...

I'm with Vanilla....2 or 3 miles on vacation and I am thinking I am hot stuff! :P Way to go on the run....sorry about scary guy and getting lost...YIKES!

aerorunnergirl said...

Her parents ARE the most fabulous looking couple on earth! In fact, her mother is a former bodybuilder and her dad is a Brad Pitt look alike!

aerorunnergirl said...

Thanks for all the props, you guys! I was feeling a bit bummed because I didn't make it the whole 10 that I'd set out for myself, but you guys made me feel better just for getting out there.