Tuesday, December 18, 2007

And so this is Christmas

I won't bore you with the details of why I haven't been running. I live in Denver, you've probably seen the weather, I've mentioned how I detest treadmills... You get the idea. All in all, I'm very disappointed with myself. I had every intention of getting back out there and running again as soon as I got better from my cold, but... that was last week and so far I haven't, and I'm going home for the holidays soon... Let's just suffice it to say that I'll be ending the year hating myself for coming very far and eventually failing.

I got new pictures of the cutest baby on the planet yesterday... Here is the angel, only 6 months old, but already stealing the hearts of many... Honestly people? Is she not the cutest baby you have ever seen? You can find more photos by this artist here.



Beware, abrupt gear shift ahead...

The holidays are a tricky time for me. There aren't many other times of the year when you can really feel the measure of a year (there is really only 1 more day that puts a year into such stark relief). It's easy to look back and think "at this time last year, I was..." And sometimes it's really hard to do. This year in particular, I haven't come as far as I would have liked. I haven't improved my relationships as much as I wanted to, I haven't gained as much confidence, I haven't learned to like myself any better. I've never really been one for "resolutions" per se, but at the end of each year, I guess I do have a few vaguely formed ideas in the corners of my mind of how I hope I'll improve over the next 12 months.

I've been more in the Christmas spirit this year than for many years past. I have bought more presents for family and friends, I've listened to more Christmas music, I've been more excited about going home. But, I've also never been more sad.

I wanted to come here and whip up a witty little self-deprecating post about my lack of running. I wanted to wish everyone a happy holiday and let everyone know that I'll be back in action soon (I still do plan on running the marathon in Nashville!)... Sometimes you just don't have it.

3 comments:

Before I'm 35 said...

Verra cute baby!

Enjoy the rest of Christmas and start out anew in January. You will be in better shape than you think probably.

Are you shooting for the half or full in Nashville? (I assume it is the Country Music in April).

Pokey said...

Sorry you are having a tough go.......2008 is sure to bring GREAT things your way!!!

((((HUGS))))

kristi_b said...

If it makes you feel any better, my 07 was not that great. It started out good - I really had high hopes - and then... it all fizzled out. sigh. Nothing BAD happened, but not much good did either. Story of my life. I guess we have to just keep plugging away and try to be upbeat for 08.

Speaking of plugging away at things, I'm still shooting for running half of the marathon with you, if I can keep up...