Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Crash and sleep...

You know how you often hear people say: “I do better when I work out with someone… that way, I’m accountable to them, and so I’m less likely to skip a workout…”

NOT SO in my case. Apparently I am some type of as-yet-unidentified scum with no conscience. Because SoxFan got up this morning and drove to my house, dogbeast Ini in tow, and was ready to make up last night’s skipped run with me at 6:30AM, and I sent him away so I could get an extra 45 minutes of sleep… Clearly, I am not human. And I feel completely terrible and horrid and insensitive and ungrateful and all things bad.

But, public self-deprecation aside, this begs the question: Why was I even attempting to run at such a ridiculous hour? I’ve mentioned before that I’m not geared to run in the pre-dawn hours, that I do better in the evenings anyway. Well, it’s funny you should ask that…

A few days ago, I was talking about aesthetics. And how I thought it would be nice to see more of an aesthetic benefit to all the running I’ve been doing. And I mentioned how I was going to make some changes to my diet, to see if that helped with the running and the aesthetics. Shortly after making these comments, I weighed myself, and I’d lost about 12 pounds! It isn’t a ton, no, but it’s enough to show, and it isn’t too bad for only 4 weeks of serious training.

I was excited, so when I went grocery shopping this week, I bought items that the nutritionist recommended, and I began trying to have smaller portions of good-for-you foods at every meal. Then… I became… le..th..a.r.g…i….c. And this sensation was all too familiar.

A while ago, my brother announced his wedding day. And then his (then) fiance’ announced her bridesmaids’ dress selection. And then I announced my ridiculous and scary and not-at-all-healthy crash diet. I was taking in about 700 calories per day. I know, I know, it was stupid… but I was a desperate woman! Had you seen this dress, perhaps it would make more sense.

Anyway, not only was I eating next to nothing, I was also exercising compulsively (3 hours a day for 6 days a week). So, naturally, the pounds started melting away. Alas! My plan was working! Hahaha, I win this round, Slinky Red Dress!

Eventually, though, I became …le..th..a.r.g…i….c and more than a little insane (it’s silly to be afraid to eat dry toast!).

This time around, I’m not insane (thank goodness), but I do think I might have swung too far on that “diet” spectrum. So, today, I’m trying something new: taking in enough calories from foods that are actually good for you. I sincerely hope that is what is wrong with me lately, because otherwise, I may just be one of the lucky few in this world who has managed to catch mono twice!

No comments: